Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Strapping the flaps down

The buckles...
I was able to buy buckles and pre-cut leather at the leather goods store.  I just needed to sew it on...

First I marked where I wanted the stitching to be, and gouged it out with a carving tool. There is a specific tool for this task, but a curved carving tool works well. Gouging a channel for the stitching keeps it flush with the surface of the leather.

After gouging, I punched holes for the thread with an awl and mallet.  This leather is too thick to push a needle through without pre-punched holes.  
                      
The waxed linen thread that I used on the knife sheath worked well to sew the buckles and straps.  I used the saddle stitch which is very strong and looks nice. 

I sewed only the 'D' shaped part to the pannier. The two extensions of stitching proceeding towards the buckle only sewed the leather together so as to keep the buckle in place.  

The buckle being sewed to the pannier...  
Finished sewing it on!!
















I also got leather straps to buckle the top flaps on the panniers down.  I bought black leather, precut by the leather lady to the correct length.  All I had to do was punch holes in them for the buckle prong to go through and then attach them to the flap.  These were sewed the same way as the buckles were.
Holes punched...                                         


 Sewed onto the flap...














The finished work...  





No comments:

Post a Comment