Friday, February 4, 2011

Money-saving measures

Here are a few things I'm doing to reduce my costs in preparation for this trip...

  • No cell phone
I can do without a cell phone, because the only reason I got one in the first place was for emergencies.  If I get into an emergency away from home, I will just have to interact with  people instead of using technology...it could be a good thing. There is a home phone I can use for casual calls.
  • Cycling as my main transportation
I've chosen to cycle places because it is better for me, the environment, my wallet, and others.  I really enjoy it; after a trip, when I get home, I feel extremely good since exercising releases endorphins that make you feel great. It is a healthy 'high'!  Riding regularly is also helping me learn defensive cycling techniques, and other road skills.  
  • No spending on myself for treats or unnecessary stuff
Refusing to spend money on myself for a treat or a movie can be annoying, but it is worth it in the end...
  • Living with my parents
I still live at home with my parents, and that really helps keep my living costs way down.  I am glad to be here, and have the support my family gives me.  They won't let me be a 'free-loader', so I have various responsibilities I must fulfill since I don't help with the bills.  They give me lots of advice, help and patience.  I am very thankful for them...

There may be other ways I'm reducing my pre-trip costs, but no more come to mind right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment