Friday, January 14, 2011

A knife needs protection

     I have a knife that I am planning on taking with me on my trip.  It was found along the road and has no protection for the blade.  It needed a sheath.  After much searching on the internet I decided to make one myself. It would be cheaper, and I could make it exactly the way I wanted.  I found some tutorials and instructions for making a deep leather sheath. On this site the author talks about some historically accurate sheaths he has made.  He discusses several different styles and methods that could be used. It was very helpful, but I needed some more detailed instructions.  
This is the tutorial I modeled my sheath after.  I followed most of his instructions. Instead of using Acetone, I used water; and instead of dipping the sheath in the wax, I wiped the sealant on. It won't be as waterproof, but it should work.
      I found leather at a little leather goods store in Buffalo. It is called M. Steffan's Sons, Inc. . I was very pleased to be able to support a local business!  The lady was helpful and friendly. She supplied me with leather, thread, leather sealer, and lots of advice.
        I used vegetable tanned leather that was about 3/16 in thick and sewed it with waxed linen thread.  After sewing it, I got the sheath wet, making it pliable, wrapped the knife with saran wrap to keep it dry and prevent the sheath from shrinking too tightly around it, and then slipped it into the sheath.  Using a spoon and my fingers, I molded the sheath to my knife, and set it aside to dry.  After about two days, the sheath had dried into a stiff shell. I was then able to take the knife out with the sheath retaining its new shape. Since water will make the leather pliable again, I waterproofed it by heating it up, and rubbing Sno Seal into it until it darkened into a nice brown.  


The front of the sheath.

The back with belt loop.
The back edge.  You can see the three layers of leather: the two sides, and the welt.  
The front edge. You can see how it was shaped to the knife.
Side by side....

2 comments:

EverQuestioning said...

One thing you may want to watch out for; In many places, carrying a fixed-blade knife, especially one with a blade 4 inches or longer, is illegal. Your knife would not be permitted in NYC at all, for example.

You might want to consider something like a swiss-army knife - just one of the versions with a couple of tools. You're far less likely to get hassled since it's more of a tool than a weapon.

Anyhow - I'm enjoying the blog! Keep it up!

Alex ... said...

Thanks, I didn't realize that...
It would be illegal to carry it on your person, right? I would usually have it in my panniers...would that be illegal, too?

Post a Comment