Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wedding and Cherries

We did it.  We finally got married!  It took us months to actually set the date, and then a week to plan the wedding.  It was perfect, and very low-cost! A friend of mine painstakingly made my dress, and it turned out graceful and beautiful.  The groom's suit was found at the thrift store.  We paid for a photographer with a veggie share, and the dressmaker's work with a work day at her house, home-made cheese, and herbs.  Seating was on home-made benches...boards supported on log sections, covered with a length of unbleached muslin.  My bouquet was collected from my parent's backyard.  A close friend made the cake, her sister did my hair, my sister made the flower decorations, bouquet, and some of the refreshments, and my mom made the rest of the refreshments.  That same sister also played the piano for the ceremony, perched up on the back of my brother's pickup truck.  I rode to the wedding in the back of a Madsen, pedaled by my father.

The ceremony was on land we lease, under a spreading cottonwood tree.  We had no attendants, a friend did the 'marrying', and there was no reception; just a simple dinner with family.   
We did take a short little honeymoon at Allegany State Park, in a rustic cabin beside a babbling brook.
 It was just what we needed...a little break before diving back into work on the houses and garden.  
I do thoroughly enjoy married life!
While my Dear Man and I were busy marrying and making merry, all the plants in our garden were busy growing...and the fruit trees were fruiting!  We recently picked the biggest Chinese Cabbage I've ever seen... 
Such a lovely head...it is very satisfying.
We also have Kohlrabi that is getting too big, broccoli and cauliflower growing to picking size, and cabbages swelling.  Frustratingly, varmints are getting into our fenced-off garden, and doing their best to destroy our crops! 
This spring we discovered four different cherry trees on our land...and they are all loaded with cherries!
And, for a day, with children...
We harvested quite the bounty!  Yum! Yum!



5 comments:

Anna Harris said...

What an idyllic life! Fresh food and above all, loads and loads of love!

Anonymous said...

Reading your last post made me smile. Cheers to a good life.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you! Very inspirational to hear your stories, Alex.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog looking for cabin pics of Allegany, do you remember which cabin that is in the photo? Gypsy Trail by any chance? Lovely pictures!!

Alex ... said...

Yes, it was on Gypsy Trail...good guess! I believe it was also cabin number 22.
Thanks!

Post a Comment