Friday, August 26, 2011

To Sum It Up...

It was good to get home, but it sure felt like a big part of the trip had been completely skipped.  Driving in a vehicle rather detracts from the journey...
We got to the house and it felt very strange...it didn't even feel like home!
It took me a couple of days to adjust...but I eventually got somewhat used to normal life again.
My ankles healed quickly, and in a little over a week I took a 30 mile ride with very minimal discomfort.  Thankfully they are healing faster than my knee did!

My bicycle was well worn and desperately needed a thorough going-over before she was taken on the road again.
The rear brakes were completely shot; front brakes, severely worn; chain, filthy.  I replaced the rear brake pads with a pair of new ones my Dad had lying around.  The front brakes still work, so I'll wait on those...
Dad was concerned that my chain could have stretched, but it was just fine!  I cleaned it with a toothbrush and kerosene....then thoroughly lubed it with Tri-Flow chain lube.  That stuff worked great!  We used it when our chains had been rained on every night...it eliminated the developing rust and kept them well lubricated.
I was very happy with my Bontrager Select Invert tires....I had no flats or leaks despite having to ride through broken glass occasionally.  Over 1000 miles...and no flats!!  They probably aren't as fast as smooth road tires, but they do well on both dirt roads and pavement.
My bags worked satisfactorily.  They kept all the pouring rain out, securely held our stuff, and weren't troublesome to access...unless the sleeping bag was strapped on top.
I do wish I had designed pockets into my handlebar bag.  Having my loose change mixed with all the other small junk in the bottom of the bag was extremely messy and inconvenient.  My next bag will definitely feature pockets!
I really enjoyed this trip, and am ready to start planning another!  I'm definitely hooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment