Saturday, April 9, 2011

Short trip!

Today my brother and I decided to take a relatively short bike trip just for the fun of it.  I wanted to get out of the city...if we could manage it.  I looked on google maps to see if I could find the shortest route into the more rural areas.  I discovered a nice bike path about 15 miles from us...mainly surrounded by fields and trees!  My brother thought it looked like a nice idea too...so there we went.  On the way there we checked out a short bike lane along the railway.  It was pleasant, for being  in the city and along the train tracks. 
Here is our route...

View Larger Map

One thing I miss about spring-time in the country is the Spring Peepers. I had the treat of listening to them in various places on the trail.  I also enjoyed the quietness...  
The sound of traffic was faint and there was only a very occasional small plane flying nearby.  The sounds to be heard were only birds, Spring Peepers, the whir of the tires, swish of my pants, and click of the freewheel.
Since it is still early spring the landscape is pretty drab....but I did get to see some little yellow flowers and some brightly colored Red-osier Dogwood!  

The path...quietly winding into the stark bareness of trees at end of winter...





The day was beautiful...sunshine and gentle breezes all the way!  Unfortunately that meant our pale winter skin got a little over-exposed to the sun...we both got pretty red.

We ate sitting on some big rocks beside this body of water.  If you look closely, you may be able to see the yellow flowers beside my brother's front wheel...






My lunch!  I had stale-ish peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with water.
My steed at the edge of open fields...I miss the wideness of farming country...
It was a fun trip, and good preparation for upcoming longer ones...

2 comments:

Janel said...

looks like you had an awesome time!
We have lots of peepers!!! last night dad counted about 45 in our pond. :)

Alex ... said...

That's funny! Your pond is so little! =)
We did have fun....

Post a Comment