Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First trip...

I've finally begun planning the first overnight trip I'll be taking!

Near the end of April...

with my Mom and sister...

along the Erie Canal.

I'm glad it'll be along an official bike path...there will be less traffic to deal with.
I'm also excited to be going with my Mom and little sis...it will be fun to share the experience with them!
We will just take it easy and enjoy the scenery instead of pushing for mileage.
We will be visiting with relatives near Rochester and then riding home.
I think the round trip will take 5 or 6 days.
I'm using a combination of Google maps, mapmyride.com, and the Delorme atlas of NY to map the route we'll be traveling.
I'll try to remember to take pictures....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Wave as you go by. ;-) My son and I have been doing the canal in segments - here's our trip for the Buffalo to Rochester segment from last year: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=125475&v=1C

You might also want to see about picking up the Parks and Trails NY "Riding the Erie Canal" tourbook - it's a great resource.

( BTW, I'm mulveyr on Bikeforums )

Alex ... said...

Congrats to your son for doing such a good job! =D I enjoyed reading your journal...I had no idea the canal route was so interesting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I think you're really going to enjoy the trip. Other than a couple of miles on one of the on-road segments in between Buffalo and Lockport, it's utterly impossible to get lost. The only potential issue is that some sections of the towpath between Albion and Brockport had new loads of stone dust put down a year ago, so if anyone in your group is using road bikes with relatively narrow tires, you might consider using Bike Route 5 ( which essentially parallels the canal ) for a while.

Alex ... said...

Thanks for that info...I will look into Bike Route 5...or maybe we'll just make sure none of us ride on skinny tires... =)

Post a Comment