Thursday, November 17, 2011

What have I been Doing?

I'm sorry, it has been a very long time since I posted anything.  I haven't been doing any interesting cycling-related activities.  
I have just been regularly riding across town for various reasons.  My ankles healed completely, and now I am sure to remember the correct height for my saddle, to avoid any other such mishaps.  My knee doesn't give me trouble, unless I exert it more than normal without stretching.  

A local cycling group recently advertised my canvas bags to those on their mailing list!  I haven't gotten any responses, but it is a first step...

A fellow bicycling traveler who decided to stop in Buffalo contacted me through Warmshowers, and now we are making a bicycle bag for her bike together!

I've been renovating a room in the basement to turn into a cheese cave, for aging cheese.  It has been a lot of work, but it is nearly done.  
Just recently I was the happy recipient of a supply of milk for cheesemaking.  The farmer gives me milk, and I give him some of the cheese I make!  A pretty swell deal for me I think!

I got my first shipment of milk last Thursday, and made Gouda, Neufchatel, and Ricotta out of the three gallons.  Neufchatel is similar to cream cheese; just made with more milk than cream.  
Here's what the Gouda looks like...and for some reason there are holes in the surface...I guess the curd was more firm that it should have been.
Another project I've wanted to get started is repairing a fiddle.  I was able to buy a damaged fiddle off Craigslist, and now have to figure out how to fix it up.  I'll get some books from the library on repairing violins, buy some tools and supplies, and carefully try to make it sound like a quality instrument.  This will be my first time repairing an instrument, and I'm hoping to do well and learn a lot!
Here's the project as she looks now...
So there you go, these are a few of the things I've been doing while not updating my blog.  

Life really is a journey into the unknown.  I had no idea at the beginning of the year that I would be able to get back into making cheese.  Not in my wilder dreams did I think I would get good milk for cheese making  in exchange for just some of the product.  You never know what will happen, what opportunities will present themselves.  Always be open to the unexpected, it is probably the beginning to a great story.

I could use this blog to document all the random adventures of my life, or I could keep it focused on cycling.  You, my readers, help me decide!  Focus on cycling, or allow for any adventure life throws at me?


3 comments:

Nora said...

The cheese looks great!! The next day I went to price right to get some groceries and saw the Neufchatel there.

Alex ... said...

Thanks! Now you kinda know how to make the Neufchatel, too...:)

Anonymous said...

Alex, you have so many interests and skills that I think you should chronicle them all as they open up to you. Truly your life is cycling along and what is yet to come will be an adventure. Share it with us.

Post a Comment