Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rain on the Mountain

Tuck slept well in the graveyard.  I had a terrible time falling asleep, and then didn't sleep very well anyway.  I wasn't tired enough, after only 40 miles.  We got out of the cemetery early, rode to Boyer's to get milk for our cereal, ate there, and then were on the road by 8:30. 
We took Rte 61 to Sunbury and though it was mostly a 4-lane highway, bicycles were legal, and the shoulders were wide enough for us to comfortably ride.  
We picked up the PA bike route J in Northumberland. A few miles later, we stopped to eat lunch at a little river-side park in Milton.  
Here I discovered my back brakes had worn down so far they completely ceased to work!  I had no back brakes, and still had a steep mountain to descend at some point!  My front brakes were very worn also, but still worked well, thankfully.  I now know to carry an extra pair of brake pads!
In Milton we used the library - for their bathroom!  We appreciated the existence of public bathrooms in gas stations, grocery stores, and libraries.  It was very convenient!
Here is a random photo of the town of Milton...
It is right on the lovely Susquehanna River....
In Dewart we abandoned bike route J for motor vehicle route 44.  That took us through some Amish country, and I snapped a picture of a team of working mules patiently waiting on their driver. 
This particular farm had at least six huge mules instead of draft horses.  It was nestled prettily between some mountains.  One of which we soon would reach the base of.  Which I did not want to climb.  It was late afternoon and there was a threat of thunderstorms, but Tuck convinced me to do it anyway. 
It was a very long ascent.  I took my time, and had a lot of breaks, because I hate feeling sick from riding too hard.  It took us over an hour to get up to the top.  Near the top, the wind started blowing, the sky clouded over, and thunder could be occasionally heard.  Tuck was quite a distance ahead of me, and it suddenly started pouring.  I had put my holey rain poncho on just in time.  Now I just walked up the mountain.  Around the next curve, and there was the top!  Finally!  The rain was coming down like a water main upstairs just broke.  I took off my helmet so it could wash the sweat off my face.  It felt amazing!  In just a few seconds my face was clean and cool.  I wanted to take advantage of the free shower, but it would have been too chilly, and rather indecent, considering the circumstances.  The rain didn't last very long, but I enjoyed every minute of it! The view from the top was lovely; of the sun on distant mountains, rain in the valley, clouds moving away and the blue sky spreading.
We made it safely down the mountain, despite wet rims and no back brakes, in my case.  In a way, the water on the rims was helpful - water cooled brakes!  
The sun came out at the bottom and turned the wet road into a silver ribbon...
Our moods were suddenly improved - I think getting poured on at the very top of a mountain was the best thing that happened to us all day - other than the spaghetti...
We stayed in an old cemetery at the base of the mountain, in Collomsville.  We were right next to a cow pasture.
I cooked up some spaghetti for our supper...
It was very tasty, especially with cheddar cheese melted into it, but unfortunately I didn't make quite enough.  We finished it all, and were still a little hungry.
As we set up camp, the locals looked at us curiously, but nobody bothered us.  It was a pleasant spot, and I was glad we had come over the mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment